*Scroll down the page to see many screenshots of the skins*
Latest Update(s) :
Version 24.2.3 - September 10 2019
- Added a short toolbar profile for Erebor theme.
- Changed the version number of JRR skins to the lotro current update number (no more useless JRR major version number before the lotro update number).
- Fixed the milestone panel issue in Greenleaves cold.
- Changed the size of many invisible picture elements from 1 x 1 pixel to they default full size, just in case it would affect positively the computer's performance, for example in barter panel or wallet, but I can't promise any gain !
- Moved some picture files incorrectly located in "Big Battles" folder to "Housing" folder.
- The skin package contains a .skincompendium extension file, based on the same model than the .plugincompendium in case someone would add the ability in the Plugin Compendium software to manage the skins in addition of the plugins, or create a new plugin+skins software manager.
Full version history logged HERE
Short introduction :
This is a pack of alternate user interfaces skins = themes.
My goal trough this pack is to revive, gather, update and enhance the most famous Lotro skins (or parts of a skin) originally created and maintained by numerous authors and contributors, since most of the original releases are abandoned and highly outdated.
During the reviving process I freely revisited the themes to offer the lotro community a new experience of these great artworks by applying my own touch.
A few themes and many additions or tweaks were made by me, often based on elements of highly outdated abandoned skins and some others found here and there on internet. ( I'm a terrible drawer
In this pack you will find 13 main themes subdivided in a total of 34 sub-themes (toolbar or background color variations)
All the themes included in this pack share the same panel customizations, designed for today's high resolution screens.
- The theme JRR A
is a minimal dark glass theme, inspired and built with many Brygard's B.G.M
- The theme JRR B
offers a bit more transparency on the auto-attack button, the system buttons located at the left and the right of the toolbar are turned invisible.
- The theme JRR C
has a minimalistic main bar. Auto-attack button is a bit more translucent. XP bar is turned invisible. All system buttons are set invisible, except when passing the mouse over them.
Last but not least, the JRR skin collection is entirely modular :
Every skin folder can be considered as an addon and is independent from the other ones. This means each main skin folder can be deleted from the pack or modified without affecting the other skins.
Every skin folder interacts with no other folder than the "JRR CORE" folder. This folder contains the common files for all the JRR skins (this is the only folder which must not be deleted to get all the skins displaying properly).
This makes easy for anyone to freely publish a new skin, a patched or customized edition of a skin, ready to plug in JRR, in addition or as replacement of existing skin(s).
This also means, as a simple user, you can reduce the number of skins embedded in the pack in just a few seconds, by simply deleting any skin folder you don't want to be featured any more !
For this, open the JRR
main folder, it is located there : "...Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\ui\skins\JRR Skins collection\"
Inside this "JRR Skins collection
" folder, delete any folder corresponding to the skins you want to remove from the pack, and you're done, that's as simple as it
Notice : Just don't remove the folder named "JRR CORE
resolution of 1024 pixels width and 768 pixels height is required, 1440X900 or higher is highly recommended.
If you are below 1024 pixels width and/or 768 pixels height, you can still enjoy the JRR SmallBar add-on
by selecting its "_JRR Small_No-Ext
" special profile. On it, every panels has Lotro's default size.
(click to enlarge)
If you're not familiar with themes installation :
- Download and unpack the .ZIP file on your desktop (with Windows, 7-zip
(freeware) or Winrar ) then copy the folder named "JRR Skins collection
" in "(My) Documents
" --> "The Lord of the Rings Online
" --> "UI
" --> "skins
folders don't exist, create it.
Usually the path is C:\User(s)\*your account name*\documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\UI\skins\
(It is the same folder that contains your LOTRO screenshots.)
When done, if you have also installed JRR addons, the folders location and their organization should be :
Inside the JRR folder, it should look like this :
- If your LOTRO client is running, close it and restart it.
- Open LOTRO option panel, then select "ui settings"
section, and look at the first line, user current skin
("user's interface appearance"
Use the select menu to choose one of the themes. (As shown on the picture below)
(click to enlarge)
After you selected a JRR theme, you have to logout (switch to the character selection menu) to apply the new correct parameters. After that you can go back into the game and enjoy all JRR features.
Except " Monsters Lair *short* " and "Delving Hills *Short* ", BGM *short*, Erebor *custom* which both have custom toolbar settings", all the themes featured in the main download share the same panels settings. This means once your character has applied these settings a first time (by logout then login back), you can freely switch between the main download themes and fully enjoy it without having to to perform another logout / login back. (except for the 2 skins mentioned above).
Panels enhancements included in each JRR skin :
- A taller dressing room
- A taller barter panel
- A taller auction Panel
- A taller mail panel
- A taller vendor panel
- A taller crafting panel, with localization fixes
- A taller legacy extraction panel
- A taller legendary item dismantling result window
- A taller master loot window (20 items max instead of 10)
- A taller panel displayed when applying an item (scroll, crystal, xp...) on a legendary Item. Displays 8 LI instead of 6 by default.
- A taller enemies tracking panel. Displays 20 names at once instead of 8 by default.
- A taller inspect panel.
- A more compact connection Status icon.
- Numerical PVP rank icons
- A (smaller) windowed map, actually displayed at its real size (no more zooming blur)
- Custom Saruman rings
- Less annoying store buttons within various panels
. . . Store buttons removed :
- Character panel : Equipment tab (enhance) & Appearance tab (buy outfits) buttons
- "circle" virtues panel : The "buy virtue +1" overlay icon is set invisible but still functional.
- Destiny barter
- Extended Crafting Panel : buy recipes / buy mats / accelerate buttons
- Relic Master panel
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and known issues :
- I just installed JRR and selected one of the skins on my character, some panels are displayed in a strange manner, like upside down.
Logout then login back, this is a necessary step to apply the new custom panel settings.
Once you did it, and since you stay on JRR universal toolbar skins, you will be able to switch from a skin to another one without having to logout again.
All the skins included in the main JRR pack are universal toolbar skins, except Delving Hills short, Monsters Lair short, BGM short and Erebor *custom*.
- I installed a JRR addon and selected it on my character, but some panels backgrounds or other elements are replaced by a light grey frame
If only a few elements are greyed (meaning that the corresponding picture file was not not found at the indicated location), uou should re-dowload and re-install the skin or this can be a error from my side. Don't hesitate to report me this kind of issues.
If a big amount of grey frames occurs, first ensure you installed the pack of skins at the right location on your hard drive, then ensure you installed the optional addon folders side by side with the "JRR Skins collection
"JRR skins collection
" folder must not be renamed
and must be directly placed at the right place, not inside another custom/unpacking folder
, if not, optional addons won't work and show only grey frames.
Optional addons folders must be located outside JRR skins collection folder, and placed just beside
- How do I uninstall a skin from my computer ?
Simply delete the skin folder you had previously copied onto your from your hard drive (I mean in ...Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\ui\skins\
folder), that's all.
- The map is no more fullscreen !
This is not a bug, this is a skinning choice, it is really convenient in some situations, and on multi screen systems.
Indeed the map is displayed at its actual size, without the zooming blur.
How can I restore the fullscreen map ?
Use a text editor software (as Windows notepad) to open the skindefinition.xml file located in the folder of the theme you want to tweak, then look for these lines (you can use Control F) and delete them :
<Element ID="MapBackground" X="0" Y="0" Width="1024" Height="768"> </Element>
then save changes in the file than relaunch lotro.
Can I tweak the size and/or location of the windowed map ?
Technically, you can edit the skindefinition.xml file and manually change the size width and height of the map, but it's NOT intended to be done, because it can fail to load the skin in case of unrecognized values or more probably lead to report wrong coordinates when hovering the map with your mouse cursor. This is what occurred when I tested it, a few years ago.
Changing the location of the map on the screen seems not possible.
- On delving Hills short / Monsters Lair short / BGM Opaque Short / Erebor custom, my toolbar is not centered or its buttons cannot be clicked.
These particular profiles require the user to edit the corresponding skindefinition.xml
file to position the toolbar depending its game resolution.
All required informations about how to proceed are logged into their skindefinition.xml
file. Open it with any text editor, like Wordpad or Notepad.
I you play in window mode or switch between window mode and fullscreen mode, you can bypass the "Y" issue by simply setting the toolbar scale to a value different than 1.00 ( in lotro option panel -> UI settings tab) (0.99 or 1.01 is ok).
On windows 7, you can switch to the windows desktop without pressing Alt+Enter to switch into windowed mode. For this, press ctrl+alt+F12 then "task manager".
- My character doesn't show in the dressroom !
JRR skins collection doesn't supports resolutions with a height below 768 pixels.
If you run Lotro with a resolution height equal to 768, you have to play in fullscreen mode to get the dressroom correctly displaying the character.
Higher resolutions allow to play indifferently in fullscreen or windowed modes.
- The auction house panel is too big !
Your screen resolution is too low ! ^^
If you run Lotro with a resolution height equal to 768, you have to play in fullscreen mode to get the auction house panel entirely displayed and usable.
Higher resolutions allow to play indifferently in fullscreen or windowed modes.
Skin by skin credits :
- "AuC" original contents come from "AuC Theme - Blue (SoM)
" by Gaylen. Many additional panel backgrounds grabbed on Google Images.
- "B.G.M" 4 skins are based on "Black Glass Mix
" by Brygard and its updated edition Black Glass Remix
nicely released and maintained by Taangar.
- "Delving Hills" both profiles are a JRR
revisited edition of "Delving Hills
" created by Wicked Mouse. The loading screen comes from Elven Adventuress UI
by Silverangel. Auction house background by John Howe.
- "Durin's Folk *short* and *Large*" original contents come from "LM Durin's Folk Revisited
", originally created by LedMirage then revisited/updated by Daimon.
- "Eorlingas" both profiles original contents come from "Eorlingas
", by Ledmirage and from Eorlingas Revisited Again
revisited by ElfHeart.
Character panel background by Ruiz Burgos
. The anniversary portraits 1 to 9 are based on vital bars from Riders of the Riddermark
- "Fifty Shades of Grey Wizard" is a raised-to-life edition of "Greyskin UI
", created by Maximoz in 2007
- "Greenleaves" mainbar and minimap come from "Greenleaves
" created by Chevrefeuille, panel borders and parchment titlebars come from Kaylan's Scroll Action Bar
- "JappMe *short* and *Large*" original contents come from "JappMe MoM Ivy
" 2.0.2 and JappMe Isengard
, both by JappMe.
- "Monsters Lair" is a JRR
exclusivity, by Adra. It delivers a full "monster play" looking theme. The short toolbar design is based on Small Monster Play Toolbar
, by AP Erebus.
- "Spirit of Elfwood" original contents come from "Spirit of Elfwood Reborn
" by Kuvasie, Ryshia & Elfheart.
- "The White Hand *large*" original contents come from "The White Hand
", by Kaylan.
- "The White Hand *short*" is a JRR
exclusive edition of "The White Hand
- Erebor supports any screen resolution superior or equal to 1152x864.
It is based on the theme "Firebeards
" from "The Naugrim - double UI Firebeards/Broadbeams
" which is based and combined off of Sinli's Enclaved FIRE&ICE
and LM Durin's Folk
This theme includes 2 profiles : "_JRR Erebor - Universal Toolbar
" and "_JRR Erebor - Custom Toolbar 3x2
The only difference between these two profiles is the toolbar.
The custom toolbar profile is inspired and has some elements from "Enclaved Dwarf UI
", created by Sinly
and based on elements from LedMirage's Eorlingas
Global credits :
- I built my first release of the JRR
theme using the theme Jack's RedPin-UI 1.0
by Jack of Windfola as a starting base, which inspired me the name "JRR" as a wink signifying "Jack's Redpin Revisited" and referring in the same time to JRR Tolkien as the pack is mainly a tribute to the work made by a community of artists inspired by the author of the Lord Of The Rings.
- Many panels elements in different themes come from Brygard's B.G.M
, some other pictures and codes come from Eclipse UI
, Azure Glass
- I used some wallpapers and artworks from LOTRO, "lord of the rings" the movie and of the game "the battle for the middle earth II".
- "Larger Auction Panel
" by Thrashfinger, modified by Wicky71 and by Adra.
- Numerical PVP rank icons & vitals pvp rank display fix, by Adra.
- Dressing room by Brygard, modified a first time by Jack then by Adra.
- Custom Saruman rings, by Adra.
- "Transparent Map Tracker
" by Hazado.
- Mail and vendor parts from "Firefern's Crafting, Vendor and Dressing Room
" by Mirarkitty.
- Extended Barter
by The Old One, modified by Adra.
- Attunement bar (Rune keeper) from "ZerCleanUI
" theme, by Zerstor.
- Gambit backgrounds by Halvr
- "Warden Gloss
" by Zamos.
- Windowed map from Eclipse UI
, by Eclipse aka Shivega.
- Extended Crafting Panel with localization fixes, by Adra.
- Taller Legacy Extraction panel from UiBuilder
by The Old One, modified by Adra in order to display the 7th legacy.
- Expanded master loot window
(20 items max instead of 10), by Eric Led, updated by Adra.
- Extended legendary item dismantling result window, by Adra.
- Some store buttons removal codes are from Elwe's no store button
, some others by Adra.
Separate Addons : (click the pictures to access their own download page)Other skin I maintain :
JRR - A
JRR - AuC
JRR - AuC *Light*
JRR - B.G.M (Opaque)
JRR - B.G.M *Opaque Short*
JRR - Delving Hills
JRR - Delving Hills *Large II*
JRR - Delving Hills *Short*
JRR - Durin's Folk (blue)
JRR - Durin's Folk *Short*
JRR - Eorlingas
JRR - Eorlingas *Short*
JRR - Erebor *Universal toolbar*
JRR - Erebor *Custom toolbar*
JRR - Erebor *Short toolbar*
JRR - Fifty Shades of Grey Wizard
JRR - Fifty Shades of Grey Wizard *Draigoch toolbar*
JRR - Greenleaves
JRR - JappMe
JRR - JappMe *Short*
JRR - Monsters Lair
This theme can be used as well by heroes or by creeps (it fixes all the default monster play UI crappy blue elements)
JRR - Monsters Lair *Short*
JRR - Spirit of Eflwood
JRR - Spirit of Eflwood *Light*
JRR - The White Hand
JRR - The White Hand *Short*
You can receive an email notification on each update of JRR Skins Collection.
For this, simply register on lotrointerface.com (it's free),
then click on the "add to my favorites" button on this page
(near the top right of the page, under the download button).
You can turn this option ON and OFF here (first option)