LoTROInterface

LoTROInterface (https://www.lotrointerface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interface Help (L) (https://www.lotrointerface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   BuffBars help... (https://www.lotrointerface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1084)

Diabloblanco 09-24-2010 07:59 PM

BuffBars help...

I just downloaded and installed BuffBars. When I do /plugins refresh it shows buff bars but when I do plugins load BuffBars I get a string of errors:

...Online\Plugins\PengorosPlugins\BuffBars\Setting s.lua:1: Unable to resolve package "Turbine.Utils".

..Online\Plugins\PengorosPlugins\BuffBars/__init__.lua:1: Failed to import package "PengorosPlugins.BuffBars.Settings".

Online\Plugins\PengorosPlugins\BuffBars\Main.lua:3 : Failed to import package "PengorosPlugins.BuffBars".

Is this plugin just in need of an update or am I doing something wrong?

Kaisoul 09-24-2010 08:51 PM

do you have the files from turbine needed for most of the plugins to function. :)

Digital_Utopia 09-24-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diabloblanco (Post 4862)
I just downloaded and installed BuffBars. When I do /plugins refresh it shows buff bars but when I do plugins load BuffBars I get a string of errors:

...Online\Plugins\PengorosPlugins\BuffBars\Setting s.lua:1: Unable to resolve package "Turbine.Utils".

..Online\Plugins\PengorosPlugins\BuffBars/__init__.lua:1: Failed to import package "PengorosPlugins.BuffBars.Settings".

Online\Plugins\PengorosPlugins\BuffBars\Main.lua:3 : Failed to import package "PengorosPlugins.BuffBars".

Is this plugin just in need of an update or am I doing something wrong?

At this point (until Pengoros releases an update anyway) you need the Turbine example plugins for Buffbars, as well as many other plugins. This is available on the official forums: here

What you specifically need from that file is the "Turbine" folder (You can keep the TurbinePlugins folder if you would like - but it isn't necessary)

The problem boils down to a particular script in that folder being used by plugin authors, because we didn't know at the time that we could simply copy that script, include it with the plugin, and expect it to work.

Now that it's been determined that it can work this way - expect this problem to go away as authors update their plugins with that in mind. I know Horsey by rushl23 has already updated his to do so, I know Pengoros will be releasing an update with this in mind, and my next update of Palantir will also be independent of this folder.

At any rate, that's what that error message means: That particular plugin requires the Turbine folder from the example plugins to work.

MrJackdaw 09-25-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia (Post 4867)
The problem boils down to a particular script in that folder being used by plugin authors, because we didn't know at the time that we could simply copy that script, include it with the plugin, and expect it to work.

Is this being promoted by Turbine? I personally prefer it as an external library used by all plugins - this way it reduces memory footprint.

Digital_Utopia 09-25-2010 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJackdaw (Post 4869)
Is this being promoted by Turbine? I personally prefer it as an external library used by all plugins - this way it reduces memory footprint.

Turbine hasn't said anything about that folder - at all. Anything they've said about the plugins in general has amounted to recommending them for people new to LotRO plugins as an example - and nothing more. So ultimately however its treated is up to the individual authors themselves.

The script in question, class.lua is a 1.5kb file, with a grand total of 35 lines of code, not counting comments or whitespace. I doubt even if someone had 50 plugins running - all from different authors that the memory footprint would be large enough to matter; especially when compared to the memory footprint of those 50 plugins themselves.

That being said, I have problems acknowledging that folder as a library. Beyond the class definition, very little in that folder is of any use to anybody - and the fact that it isn't automatically included, tells me that it's designed as more of a utility package for the example plugins, and of course, serves as additional examples.

Diabloblanco 09-25-2010 11:05 AM

O.K. Weird when I go to download the Turbine files from the link I click on 'download here" and instead of a folder I get a page of crazy looking symbols. This makes my head hurt lol.

MrJackdaw 09-25-2010 11:09 AM

I think they decided to use 7Zip to pack it... Great bit of free software!

Diabloblanco 09-25-2010 06:34 PM

Ya I have 7zip but when I click on their link it just opens a page full of weird symbols and such no file or anything. Idk maybe I'm doing something wrong.

MrJackdaw 09-26-2010 02:27 AM

Are you using IE?

Diabloblanco 09-26-2010 08:05 AM

No I use FireFox.