LoTROInterface

LoTROInterface (https://www.lotrointerface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Beta Interfaces (L) (https://www.lotrointerface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nameless Skin - Some questions for users. (https://www.lotrointerface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935)

NewYears1978 06-09-2010 02:43 AM

Nameless Skin - Some questions for users, or just give me feedback :)
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I am brand new to LotRO and I just hated the default UI so right away I got into skinning it (plus I enjoy messing with code/graphics as much as playing games)
I at first was creating it specifically for me but decided to show it to see who would be interested, if anyone. If so, what resolutions do you all use.
The thing is very resolution specific so just changing a value in the XML will not work for other resolutions, I will actually have to make different size images for other resolutions.
The theme is sorta an Elf / Forest type theme, as this is something I quite like. It's it similar to the Spirit of Elfwood theme around here (Which is great)..but the images are brighter..a little more are the cartoony side than realistic. Made for hunter (for starters..if interest I will expand it to all classes)

So if anyone is interested, let me know what resolution you use, and any features you want or don't want etc. Keep in mind the skin is made FOR me..and I just chose to share...so I may or may not put features in.

Here are some images of what I have so far (One in attachment, one below)

In the attached image (sorry didn't feel like putting the info in the screenshot, yet)

-Left side: Gems are the Menu buttons, I myself do not use menu buttons..but left those in for people who do.
-Middle-Left: The circle/icon with the swords is the autoattack button
-Middle-Center: The little circles in the stone is the focus meter, it fills up with Gems
-Middle-Bottom: This is obviously the XP bar
-Right side (left): These are the bag icons (clearly)
-Right side (far): The up arrow is the start menu button

Minimap:

[Note, the graphics are not completely custom by me, many of the elements came from one of my favorite games, King's Bounty. Some of them are custom made, others are major or minor edits etc..when/if released all credits will be posted]

Ray 06-09-2010 03:55 AM

Nice pictures :)

Only the toolbar then has to be made for different resolutions, if you want to fill the bottom of the screen from left to right. The only thing to change in the XML file is then the size of the toolbar and the filename of the toolbarskin. And probably also all the positions of the elements like XP bar. But that you can quite easily solve in some variables I'd say.

Keep up the good work!

Deewe 06-09-2010 08:37 AM

Looks really great!

As a note some players like to have a minimalistic bottom bar with bags and all other buttons than the quick slot one hidden.

Maye you'd like to make an optional smaller one ;)

NewYears1978 06-09-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deewe (Post 4162)
Looks really great!

As a note some players like to have a minimalistic bottom bar with bags and all other buttons than the quick slot one hidden.

Maye you'd like to make an optional smaller one ;)

If it were up to just me I wouldn't put the Bag icons or the Menu icons at all..or even the autoattack button..I don't use any of those I use shortcuts only :) But since I know a lot of people like those I left them.

If released I will probably make versions where all of those items are hidden also :) It is very minimalistic though since its all so flat...doesn't really get in the way of anything :)

Thanks for the comments guys!

daimon 06-09-2010 09:17 AM

I made a poll on the CM forums a few months ago about what resolutions people use. It got a bit screwed as I forgot a few important ones. The most used one is 1680x1050 according to it, followed by 1920x1200, 1920x1080 and 1280x1024

http://community.codemasters.com/for...ll-2010-a.html
http://community.codemasters.com/for...010-2-2-a.html

Easiest would be if you'd try to shrunk your custom mainbar into lotro's original mainbar size so you wouldn't have to touch the code for it.

If you do however want it to cower the whole bottom area for different resolutions it might get a bit tricky as you need to keep seperate skindefs up to date and users have to change some file names etc.

Tip: Use high Y value to move the bar to bottom.. it doesn't matter how high value you use as Lotro's UI won't let the objects overflow from the screen so you don't have to worry about different height values for different resolutions (just use something like Y="3000" or so). Same goes with stuff on the right side. If you wanna align it to left obviously X="0" then.. might save you some trouble.

Modifying the mainbar code has some disadvantages: Users need to relog to get it work properly. Swapping between windowed and fullscreen will dislocate the bar and to get it right again relog is needed.

NewYears1978 06-09-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daimon (Post 4164)
I made a poll on the CM forums a few months ago about what resolutions people use. It got a bit screwed as I forgot a few important ones. The most used one is 1680x1050 according to it, followed by 1920x1200, 1920x1080 and 1280x1024

http://community.codemasters.com/for...ll-2010-a.html
http://community.codemasters.com/for...010-2-2-a.html

Easiest would be if you'd try to shrunk your custom mainbar into lotro's original mainbar size so you wouldn't have to touch the code for it.

If you do however want it to cower the whole bottom area for different resolutions it might get a bit tricky as you need to keep seperate skindefs up to date and users have to change some file names etc.

Tip: Use high Y value to move the bar to bottom.. it doesn't matter how high value you use as Lotro's UI won't let the objects overflow from the screen so you don't have to worry about different height values for different resolutions (just use something like Y="3000" or so). Same goes with stuff on the right side. If you wanna align it to left obviously X="0" then.. might save you some trouble.

Modifying the mainbar code has some disadvantages: Users need to relog to get it work properly. Swapping between windowed and fullscreen will dislocate the bar and to get it right again relog is needed.

Hey great tips, thanks. I may remake the skin to be just the size of the original size...that way it's easier to cross browswer it..although I really do like it going across my whole screen, but I guess it isn't entirely necessary.

About the X, Y value things, are you saying that if you put for instance X=3000 that it will align it to the right no matter what resolution you are using? that's handy, didn't know you could do this.

I've noticed almost every skin I used had that mess up with you go windowed mode..it's a real pain...how do I get around that? You said edited anything in the mainbar causes it? If so then there's no way around it..?

Thanks in advance :) (Your skin is one that inspired me to make my own btw, I was using it (Moria one)

daimon 06-09-2010 10:14 AM

yeah that's exactly what I'm saying about the x and y's. I have only found it usefull with "ToolbarField" tag tho.

If you edit anything under "ID_UISkin_Toolbar" the clipping takes place while switching modes, there's no way around it, at least I haven't figured out one. Not sure if you leave the values blank which you don't need to modify what happens then, I can't remember if I tried that, I think I did but not sure anymore .. been a long while since I messed with that part of the code. It would be ok if you wouldn't need to include "ToolbarField" but as it's the parent tag you can't leave it out.


Oh and remember that when you modify the code you can leave out any child tags you don't modify, the lotro ui will fill out the blanks automatically.

I don't mind the bug myself as im always alt+tab'ing instead of switching between fullscreen/windowed mode. That doesn't affect the skin.

NewYears1978 06-09-2010 02:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What about this style instead (See attachment)


Will work in any resolution since I don't have a full bar...left blank area is for the chat box, without intrusion..the menu and bag are together on the right (of course a release with no icons will also be available) and then the Start Menu button will always be on the right edge of the screen.

Is this better? Look okay? Suggestions?

Edit:
Added another alternative (just messing with diff ideas)

daimon 06-09-2010 04:17 PM

it still changes the button locations and that is enough to cause the bug to happen if you switch modes. It happens if you make Any changes in the mainbar code .. that's why lots of skins are suffering this here.

NewYears1978 06-09-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daimon (Post 4169)
it still changes the button locations and that is enough to cause the bug to happen if you switch modes. It happens if you make Any changes in the mainbar code .. that's why lots of skins are suffering this here.



Oh no, I am aware of the bug..I never use Window mode either so it doesn't concern me since there is nothing I can do about it.

The changes I made were to make it cross resolution (with just small XML changes)

Just trying to get peoples opinions..if thye like the more graphic fullscreen one or the limited ones...Im undecided...might have to release multiple versions :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© MMOUI