View Single Post
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:33 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equendil
Hehe I like to say "impossible" in software developer jargon is merely a synonym for "very time consuming".

Situation #1:
Boss: Hey, can you implement that new feature our customer requested ?
Dev: Well it would take months and the feature is rather minor
Boss: Get on it ! We need it for yesterday !

Situation #2:
Boss: Hey, can you implement that new feature our customer requested ?
Dev: Nah, not possible.
Boss: Isn't there any way ?
Dev: Nope.
Haha certainly! Thankfully, in this case we're all our own "boss", but on the other side, there really is an "impossible" here. Well, at least in limiting ourselves within the plugin system, within the client. There is also however, a "reasonably possible" as well - and that kinda goes hand in hand with what you were saying. Just because you technically could do it, doesn't mean that what you would need it for is that crucial to make it worth the effort.

For instance, in this multi-font label thing, if the author's goal was to (for some reason) create a plugin that renders HTML/CSS, then the effort required would probably be worth it (at least for the goal). On the other hand, if they just wanted to make their options panel prettier, then...that's probably a different story. Even still, since we are all our own "boss", it's up to the individual author to make that final decision - whether their effort, is worth (to them) the result.

The message though, is you'll be able to accomplish and pull off a lot more if you go into a project asking "This is what I want to do, now how do I use what exists to pull it off?" instead of "This is what I want to do, now does the API/Language have a "whatIWantToDo(justLikeThis);" function?". Unless you're dealing with PHP, or love spending time searching for and downloading 3rd-party libraries, there's probably not going to be such a function - until you make it of course.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros