View Single Post
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:19 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Some of the issues I see:

How plugin icons are implemented. For my Travel plugin, my icon is actually a simple window, which I believe can no longer be a child of another window.

It would not really be a problem to change it to a normal button, but would require some coding to check the state of the icon manager (PiPP) plugin. If the icon manager is not running, then load the normal icon, if it is, load the managed icon. It would also require code to switch from normal to managed if the icon manager plugin starts after the plugin is loaded.

I believe all plugins that would use the icon manager will need to be in the same apartment as the icon manager. Not really a big deal but some plugins do run in their own apartments.

But the biggest issue is really creating icons for plugins that don't have them already. It would really require you to write the code for each plugin to create an icon. This would be a big job since we don't follow any conventions for naming functions or anything.

Overall, it could be possible, but would definitely require the cooperation of plugin authors to meet some specific requirements. The automatic addition of icons for plugins that don't support it would be impractical.

Don't get me wrong, I think its a nice idea, but seems like it would be a lot of work when it might turn out very few authors would support it.