View Single Post
Unread 09-18-2010, 12:29 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

SVN - I just don't get it...

Ok, I've looked around, I've read faqs and guides and this is what I understand about SVN;
  • It allows multiple users to work on a plugin, should you wish them to.
  • It allows different branches of a plugin - so that you can try new ideas without damaging the main plugin
  • You can use it solo and the "Revert" function sounds very useful!
  • Enabling SVN for a plugin on the site is very simple
  • To upload I have been using the repo browser and dragging-and-dropping.

Ok, ok. So, I have enabled SVN for Align, and made it private for now...

What I don't understand is - using tortoise - how do I upload revisions or download the old versions? And believe me when I say I *have* looked and looked at different guides. I just don't get it. I have used the "Repo Browser" to upload - but then I get a load of new folders and don't understand how to use them.

I want;
  • To be able to upload the current files to the SVN keeping the current file structure
  • To have a seperate SVN for my libraries that are shared by my plugins, that is not on the lotrointerface site as a download but for dev purposes only
  • To be able to work on a "live" copy on my machine and sync it with the online copy - essentially for the copy on my PC to be the alpha one at all times.
  • I am not bothered about branches yet as I intend to just keep it to myself until I understand it better. Essentially the SVN copy will be my alpha version.

In other words - I want a magic button that uploads the version of the plugin on my computer that is used by me in game to be uploaded to the SVN, and a second magic button to reverse the process should I need to.

I wouldn't even mind if I had a single SVN for all my plugins - a JackdawPlugins SVN - so I only have one folder to sync.

Sorry for my ignorance, and believe me when I say I have looked!

EDIT: In fact - the more I think about it the more a single SVN for all my plugins sounds very attractive.

Last edited by MrJackdaw : 09-18-2010 at 01:09 AM.