Thread: Threat Meter
View Single Post
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:18 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushl
That's exaggerating the argument. Sure, getting rid of all informational displays would increase difficulty. But being as difficult as possible isn't the goal here. There's a balance between too hard and too easy - and we want to stay in the middle of that. Getting rid of all information makes things too hard. Threat meters makes things too easy. Ergo, keep the information we have now, and don't add Threat meters.
Except that balance is completely and entirely subjective. Personally I don't need response indicators to know when my crit chain is unlocked - and I really don't need to know my focus, or other various bits of information the game gives me already - once you play a character enough, you get a feel for exactly what the situation is. Heck, I can tell if I crit on a bow attack just by the sound. However, it's reassuring to see the numbers if you want them - and that is one part of why some people want meters. Not to make the game easier - but to simply be informed.

Quote:
This could be true to an extent - but we have knowledge of what adding Threat meters has done to other games. Therefore, we know the difference between having it and not, and most people believe that not is better.
First off let's call a spade, a spade. Meters did not "ruin" any game - at most they ruined the game for certain people - but I'm pretty sure those other games are still running along quite well. The problem boils down to the fact that whatever game you had a bad experience with meters in, was because the majority wanted to use them. Most likely due to how competitive and deep the end game was. Sure, you'll get some ex WoW players in here that want to live and die by the addon - but you're going to be hard pressed to find that same form of "necessity" here. This game is not going to attract the hardcore set, nor keep them here for very long. LotRO doesn't really have an endgame - at least in the sense that you have to raid to get the best gear. Heck, that can be gotten with three man groups right now.

Quote:
Perhaps that's true, but if Threat weren't a key factor in most encounters, people wouldn't be asking for meters. If Threat were removed as a factor in an encounter, and knowing it didn't make things easier or harder, I don't think people would care if there was a meter. It's like asking to know your hobbit's shoe size. If the data doesn't affect the game, there's no harm in knowing it. I believe however that Threat is a key component to most encounters (well, group ones anyway). That's why some are asking for a meter.
Well that's a bit of a reach - to say something is a key factor, just because people want more information about it. Sure, it's obviously important to them - but is it important to them because the success of their group hinges on it, or they just want the extra information? There seems to be this underlying fallacy that shows up whenever meters are discussed, that anybody who wants X meter, only does so because they can't play the game without it. Sometimes its just wanting to see your performance, to see exactly how good you're doing. Obviously if a hunter is running in strength stance with 4 deep on Bowmaster, and you manage to keep aggro - then you're doing a really good job. But in a game based on numbers, it's not hard to understand why some want the numbers to prove it.

Quote:
I have no doubt that if we're given access to that data we'll see a meter in minutes. I would also be inclined to believe that if Turbine gives us that data, then it would be a statement that they didn't think Threat management was a key component to the game. Essentially, it's on them to determine exactly how important Threat is. Unless they can be convinced that it's not a key component, our discussion is largely academic.

rushl
And that really is my main point - What is significant, or would make the game too easy or not, is really up for Turbine to decide. Anything else is just opinion and experience in other games.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros