View Single Post
Unread 10-19-2017, 11:09 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

For the emote chat messages, I exhaustively researched every one of the possibilities a couple of years ago in making this plugin, which translates the messages into Russian. There have been a few new ones added since then, but the majority of the work is done, for English.

I also came up with an efficient way to do the parsing. The naive way would have been to apply several hundred regexps to every single chat message after it arrived. I thought this would be potentially costly in terms of CPU overhead. Instead, after receiving each message, I replaced the player's name and the target's name with placeholder strings. Then I used that string as the key when searching the translation table. Hash table lookups are very fast.

On another note, not every possible objective needs to be imagined before something useful can be made. Specific features that are required for a "proof of concept" story could be implemented. Then future stories will provide guidance about what other features are needed.