Thread: Text Editors
View Single Post
Unread 04-06-2011, 01:03 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhuHanuku
I have a general question for interface authors as well as users. What program do you use to edit xml files? I know that WordPad is much more advanced than Notepad and I think it comes on all versions of Windows. From my limited experience, I highly recommend WordPad over Notepad. Is there anything better out there? Is it free (at least as in beer, if not speech)? Does it support xml highlighting?

The reason I'm asking is because users are having issues with my text/xml files. I know that Notepad blissfully ignores Unix-style newlines. I use gedit in Ubuntu and its highlighting feature really helps debug xml. It's available for Windows although I've never used it. I'd like to recommend something better than WordPad when people have issues.
Forgot to mention... Visual Studio covers every problem and feature you mention. Free, xml highlighting, handles nix newlines just fine, plus lots of goodies too many to count, like xml region collapsing, intellisense tag completion, etc. And the installer for the expression editions is so painless that anybody could do it.