lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > Site Forums > Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions

Unread 09-25-2010, 03:36 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via MSN to Digital_Utopia Send a message via Yahoo to Digital_Utopia
Download counts

I would like to suggest that a bit more "intelligence" is added to the download counter - so that it at least has a decent level of credibility to it.

I noticed it currently automatically adds one to the count as soon as you press the button - as many times as you press the button. Some form of ip address filtering, where it only counts a download for each unique ip address would lead to far more accurate results (especially for files with multiple versions) and greatly reduce the chance of exploiting that count.

I would imagine that this cms, like most cms' tracks ip addresses. If so, then every time a download button is clicked, that user's ip address could be compared to a table with download ids and ip addresses - if that ip address doesn't exist for that download id, the count is increased by one, and that user's ip address is then added to that table for that download id. Any further clicks, such as for an update, or simply re-downloading an item, wouldn't be counted.

I realize this solution is not without its faults, as dishonest users could use a proxy, or a dial up connection (new ip each sign on) to artificially inflate their downloads, and that should any smaller countries that share an ip address across numerous people - a download wouldn't be counted when it should. However, any undesired results would be far, far less then the current potential of abuse and the current level of inaccuracy.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros
Unread 09-25-2010, 04:03 AM
The Undying

I agree that it is not the most accurate thing in the world but, do you think anyone is abusing the count? And what would it gain them? Maybe I'm just being naive..
Unread 09-25-2010, 05:42 AM
The Undying

Send a message via MSN to Digital_Utopia Send a message via Yahoo to Digital_Utopia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackdaw
I agree that it is not the most accurate thing in the world but, do you think anyone is abusing the count? And what would it gain them? Maybe I'm just being naive..
Well my main concern is of accuracy, I'm kinda curious as to how many actual users I have. The problem is that there's also been fairly frequent updates - especially within the first few days, and every time a previous user downloads an updated version, it counts as an additional download.

As far as a reason for someone to abuse the system? It's generally a number that is supposed to show how popular your contribution is. For some people, being popular is more important than anything else. I haven't seen any evidence of it, but there's not much of a point keeping track of a statistic, let alone displaying a "Most Downloaded" list on the front page, if it not only can be abused - and quite easily at that; but especially if it isn't even accurate.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:35 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia
Well my main concern is of accuracy, I'm kinda curious as to how many actual users I have.
Ah! I agree with this!