lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Help (L)

Unread 04-06-2011, 02:28 PM
The Wary

Does addons work in the french version?

Hello everybody,

since we are on the F2P, the addons have come to our favorite game. For those who play on europe, like me (I played a French version),we are expecting some isssues and so we canīt use them. Anyone know if Turbine or Codemaster have planned to resolve it ?

TY

BR
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:56 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

As far as the Turbine code goes, plugins should work in codemaster's version. The problem is relating to how the authors of the plugins write their plugins. If the author doesn't take extra steps to account for French and German translations then the plugins won't function properly. BuffBars, for instance, has localization code programmed in and should work with your client. KragenBars (shameless plug) also has localization code; though we are missing some translations and would happily accept assistance there
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:57 PM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswered
Hello everybody,

since we are on the F2P, the addons have come to our favorite game. For those who play on europe, like me (I played a French version),we are expecting some isssues and so we canīt use them. Anyone know if Turbine or Codemaster have planned to resolve it ?

TY

BR
A number of addons not only work with the German and French clients but also have their interfaces translated for those clients. AltInventory works with both French and German clients with the limitation that Creep side classes and races will not display translated (I don't have access to the 'Moors on my EU client). MoorMap version 1.03 (available soon) will partially support French and German clients - the interface is translated and it supports the client version of the coordinates (both the comma for decimal place as well as the direction translations) but the default annotation names are not currently translated (the 'Moors annotations will have to wait for F2P access to the 'Moors to get translated) and while most of the maps automatically translate since they use built in resources, there are a few for which I have not yet found resource IDs so they are JPG files and not translated. I also periodically check the Codemaster's forums and while I can't read German very well (Google translate ftw ) and even my French is limited, I do try to respond to any issues that I can there.

There are a number of solutions to the decimal notation and special character values in saved files, some plugins natively support this, others require patching - the Codemaster's forums have several threads about this. There's a fair chance that if you apply the Vindar patch or other solution many plugins will work just fine with the French and German clients although their UIs won't translate unless the authors specifically go to the effort of providing that support.
Unread 04-06-2011, 11:55 PM
The Wary

#Garan #Valdacil TY for the information. I have no problem with the interface is in English. I prefer the English version personally :P
The thing is Iīve tryed some of them like Plugin Manager and Tonic Bar but the second one did not work well and I had a crash. I canīt manage the windows.

I read long time ago, that CD or TB would solve this issue with a patch but Iīm not sure if they will do it.
In any case, I will try with the Vindar patch.

BR
Unread 04-08-2011, 05:37 PM
The Undying

If I could make a suggestion to Lotroui & Addon authors that implement language support. Perhaps we can make a faq and post that on here. I have numerous questions regarding doing this, and I'm sure there are "known" issues with attempting this. You brought up some good points Garan, that I've speculated on based on reading through other authors code, but its not well know (i.e. I feel like i rediscover stuff and reinvent the wheel that others already know).
  • Where can one get client for connecting to EU servers? Are we allowed to setup F2P there?
  • I assume there are encoding issues (you mentioned patching code to encode correctly)
  • Translation.. are there people on this board that are willing and mind being messaged for help?
  • What languages are supported in general with lotro client? (French, German ...?)
Unread 04-09-2011, 12:24 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarwtr
If I could make a suggestion to Lotroui & Addon authors that implement language support. Perhaps we can make a faq and post that on here. I have numerous questions regarding doing this, and I'm sure there are "known" issues with attempting this. You brought up some good points Garan, that I've speculated on based on reading through other authors code, but its not well know (i.e. I feel like i rediscover stuff and reinvent the wheel that others already know).
  • Where can one get client for connecting to EU servers? Are we allowed to setup F2P there?
  • I assume there are encoding issues (you mentioned patching code to encode correctly)
  • Translation.. are there people on this board that are willing and mind being messaged for help?
  • What languages are supported in general with lotro client? (French, German ...?)
The european client can be downloaded from several sources, but I ran into some issues when trying to switch between EN/FR/DE clients on the login screen, the program would crash after connecting to the world. I finally found that when I did a full download of each client and during the 2nd and 3rd install process chose the "repair installation" option, the language switching on the login dialog has since worked flawlessly. For downloads, check out http://community.codemasters.com/for...605-post1.html I have also run into some serious issues with the Pando client (I've had Pando go haywire and suck up all of my bandwith for no valid reason as well as having it peg my CPU utilization at 100% for the core it is executing on), so now, whenever I have to use Pando to download anything, I immediately uninstall it after the download completes.

Anyone can create a F2P account with Codemasters and connect to their servers - I've actually found their servers to have quicker logins and better response times in general.

The biggest known encoding issue has to do with how the client locale settings affect saving and loading decimal values and some special unicode characters. There are a couple of third party patches out there, I chose to go with the Vindar patch since it can be easily integrated with your source code and then your users never have to worry about it. The second issue with encoding has to do with putting unicode characters into source file strings. I've found it fairly easy to simply concatenate the unicode string.char values after looking up which values represent which characters. For MoorMap, I added this behavior into the tool that generates my default data files so that I don't have to manually replace unicode characters.

The actual translation. Well, a lot of the translating needed can be done by simply familiarizing yourself with the foreign language client of your choice (only English, French and German are currently available so this isn't as difficult as it could be). If you want to know the French word for a specific in-game action, find that term in the english client, then load the french client and locate the same term. Some things like custom UI configuration and terms won't exist in the game client. For that, if you are somewhat familiar with the language, then simple tools like Google translate can often get you by. If you aren't familiar with the target language, then you can always try posting on the language specific sub-boards of the Codemaster's forums, preferably in the Lua section asking for help. I've seen several threads there, and there are people willing to help.

If you've never tackled creating a foreign language client for a software package before, you will have some new tricks to learn. One thing in particular to remember is to leave enough space for foreign translations when laying out a UI - many languages, in particular German in our case, use phrases or words that are considerably longer than their English counterparts. Another thing to remember is that you have to have the ability to strip out all of the text that a user could ever see into a separate resource file which can be replaced in some fashion by an alternate language file, preferably dynamically, but if necessary, you can just provide separate installations and make the user decide which version to download and install. Also, avoid putting dynamically generated text within the context of static text in the same sentence since changing gramatical structures may make translating such dynamic text difficult or impossible. Additionally, never trust a dictionary or web translation when jargon is involved, always refer those kinds of issues to someone that is both fluent in the target language and familiar with the context. There are many other issues you will run into, but those are some of the larger ones. No, I would not be the person to ask about specific jargon in French or German since I am far from fluent in either language

Last edited by Garan : 04-09-2011 at 12:39 AM.