lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 10-10-2010, 06:05 AM
The Undefeated
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via MSN to Hollywood
[SOLVED] Returning author, needing assistance.

[SOLVED]
Syntax error identifed

[SOLVED]
Graphical error

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRAPHICAL UPDATE/EDIT:

Problem removing art off bottom of mainbar solved(See eighth post below).

Assett ID's are :

<Mapping ArtAssetID="letterbox_bottom_left_cap" FileName="invisible.tga"></Mapping>
<Mapping ArtAssetID="letterbox_bottom_left_mid_cap" FileName="invisible.tga"></Mapping>
<Mapping ArtAssetID="letterbox_bottom_right_cap" FileName="invisible.tga"></Mapping>
<Mapping ArtAssetID="letterbox_bottom_right_mid_cap" FileName="invisible.tga"></Mapping>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYNTAX UPDATE/EDIT:

I have now got the game to stop crashing. It turns out(to best of my investigation) that some of the files I had saved - probably the .tga - were corrupt. I obtained a fresh copy from the LOTRO UI database, and the game loads fine.
Additionally, most of the main features of the build still work as intended. The only glaring issue now is that the original LOTRO main menu bar at the bottom of the screen has returned.

It's spread over half the screen. It reminds me of one of the old common issues when skins were first coming out, and people were not exiting and relaunching the client after applying the skin in-game. They'd get this big toolbar mess. In my .xml file, it is removed intentionally.
I think it may have to do with the coordinates of the toolbar's letterbox. I have attempted to move it around, to see if that makes a difference, but no joy.

Furthering that, I've gone ahead and got an up to date version of Deewe's skin(since this all started back in Yessh 1.4).
I've checked the calculations and made adjustments where I think would be appropriate for 2560 resolution. It looks good on paper, but when I go into the game, it doesn't see the skin at all!

So my old copy without any adjustments for 2560 res, seems to be broken no matter what resolution I attempt to use it with.
The new copy for 2560, simply doesn't present itself as an option.

Thanks Daimon for your interest, maybe you could still have a look regarding the returned menu bar and also advise any suggestions in general.

Roxy

Original post below, in case it helps anyone in the future:

Hey all,

I've been away from Lotro since the beginning of this year and have not updated my skin since about July of last year (officially speaking).
[If interested] http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...tskinning.html

There's two resolution adjustments that I have neglected in the past year, and have decided now to go ahead and make those due to player requests.

I knew going back into this that there would be some updated features that I would have to tackle i.e. the Moria item advancement or stuff from Mirkwood etc. However not being up to speed on any of the new assetts, I went ahead and loaded up LOTRO with my skin just to see where things were out of place and to take some general notes about the changes.

Unfortunately, as soon as I select my skin in game, the client crashes with a generic/general appcrash.

I'm assuming this is a syntax error(which others have suggested as well).
Problem is that 'syntax' is kinda vague, leaving me to only guess that part of my .xml file is faulty. Note that it hasn't changed since it last worked a year ago, thus it cannot be a simple typo. There's something I need to change or add that I don't yet recognize.

Would anyone be willing to have a skim through and see if they can identify what might be the problem?

I've attached the file, keep in mind I will be modifying this for 2560 resolution (and 1680 by request) as soon as I can identify what's causing the UI to fail.

Any help would be most appreciated as I feel I owe it to all the minimalistic UI fans out there, to keep this one alive.

Regards,

Roxy
Attached Files
File Type: xml SkinDefinitionOLD(1920x).xml (26.2 KB, 1288 views)
File Type: xml SkinDefinitionNEW(2560x).xml (162.2 KB, 1170 views)

Last edited by Hollywood : 11-11-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: -
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:42 AM
The Undying

I can try it out when I get home later this evening
Unread 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM
The Undying

I gave it a quick look (didn't have time to test it yet or anything) but what I can tell the problem must be in ID_UISkin_Toolbar.

I think you got an extra </Element> at line 44 that breaks it. Try removing that and test if it starts working.
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:02 PM
The Undefeated

I put back the original 1920x1200 version that was working (or I thought was working), and set my resolution to match - just so we can see where we stand.
Unfortunatley I still got the toolbar splashed across the screen.
I noticed that if I adjust the toolbar's scale in the UI options to something under "1" it shrinks like it should but it also takes the pip/fervor counter with it.

It's acting as if the toolbar and the custom pip/fervor are connected, which is not supposed to happen.

I didn't have a chance to weed out line 44, I can't seem to see the extra </element>

I did manage to get Deewe's 2.4 to work with 2560x, so that's at least some sort of foundation for me to work with.
I think I may have to close down my files portal until I figure out where the hiccup is.

Last edited by Hollywood : 10-11-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:48 PM
The Undying

ah you're right, it's not the </Element> !

You have
Code:
  <Element ID="Gameplay_AtunementUI" X="1235" Y="1467" Width="90" Height="41" />                         
   <Element ID="PipDisplay_Atunement_Pips" X="0" Y="0" Width="90" Height="41" /> 
  </Element>
It should be
Code:
  <Element ID="Gameplay_AtunementUI" X="1235" Y="1467" Width="90" Height="41">
   <Element ID="PipDisplay_Atunement_Pips" X="0" Y="0" Width="90" Height="41" /> 
  </Element>
And Toolbar shouldn't affect fervour panel as they are separate things but it could be that little error messes up that too.
Unread 10-12-2010, 03:38 PM
The Undefeated

Ok you're looking at the 2560 file. Yes, I must have added the attunement code manually and not noticed the change in /> format.

On that you are correct and it works - it also works when I apply it to the 1920X1200 .xml.
But only if I add the attunement lines - without them it continously fails - this might be just an update that's required because of how the UI has changed over time.

I believe at this point I can put learning the new assets on back burner until I get in touch with Deewe about some art stuff.

Thanks Daimon, you have pointed me in the right direction.

Roxy
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:36 PM
The Undying

Hey Hollywood,

sorry I only saw your PM today...

I'm pretty much busy right now so could you help us by posting a pic of what you have regarding the vitals and what you'd like so I can check it fast?

Thanks for your understanding.

D
Unread 11-06-2010, 01:01 PM
The Undefeated

Hi Deewe,

I did not see your update on this thread.

At this point I think that there's whole sections of relevant code that's either missing or outdated from how the .xml data used to be.
It would be triumphant to find it all and correct it, yet that won't make any grave difference to the final outcome.

The main things that my UI would offer anyways, is a lot of invisible.tga editing and a custom layout - because of the Excel file you designed, most of the hard work is taken care of - it's definitely not like the old days.

I've sent another message to you about Free to Play updates, and hopefully I can put my packages together by end of this month to showcase my layouts and your skin(s).

Can you see the light/white/silver brackets? That's a piece off the bottom side of the default main/menu bar. I cannot seem to remove it. It must be a new asset/line that I don't have, so I cannot apply an invisible tga file to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noidea.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	182  

Last edited by Hollywood : 11-06-2010 at 02:01 PM.