lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Requests (L)

Unread 07-30-2011, 01:52 AM
The Indomitable

External Program Overlay

Random question:

Is it possible in anyway to create an overlay for lotro to control an external program, like iTunes?

This question is born out of a desire to be somewhat lazy, and not have to alt-tab when I want to switch tracks on iTunes if I am playing music while playing LOTRO.

I remember reading somewhere else that the game may detect such things and view them as an attempt to bot/cheat...so I'm just curious is this is possible. If not, oh well, just figured I would ask.
Unread 07-30-2011, 02:38 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Controlling iTunes or another Media Player via the Lotro client is not possible. However, what you are looking for is more of a general Windows application like TS Overlay just for iTunes. Apparently there is none, but I suggest trying out iTunesKeys:

http://www.mattberube.com/software/iTunesKeys/

"iTunesKeys is a system-tray utility that lets you control iTunes
with global hotkeys or from the tray icon's menu while in the background."
Unread 07-30-2011, 08:40 AM
The Undying

if you have an iDevice (eg iPhone) there's an app you can download that allows you to control your iTunes from your device. You could just keep that open to hand instead?
Unread 07-30-2011, 11:57 AM
The Indomitable

Don't have an iPhone, but I will look into the iTunesKeys.

Thanks =)

iTunesKeys doesn't seem to work when the game is running...oh well. I'll just alt-tab out when needed, it isn't that big of a deal...i was just wanting to be really lazy, lol.

Last edited by stryker84 : 07-30-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Unread 07-31-2011, 06:39 AM
The Undying

Send a message via MSN to Digital_Utopia Send a message via Yahoo to Digital_Utopia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker84
Random question:

Is it possible in anyway to create an overlay for lotro to control an external program, like iTunes?

This question is born out of a desire to be somewhat lazy, and not have to alt-tab when I want to switch tracks on iTunes if I am playing music while playing LOTRO.

I remember reading somewhere else that the game may detect such things and view them as an attempt to bot/cheat...so I'm just curious is this is possible. If not, oh well, just figured I would ask.
No, there's been nothing official given one way or another about overlays - but considering the prevalance of xfire, steam and vent overlays, I very much doubt that such a thing is against the rules. Mainly because doing a DirectX hook just basically hijacks the video output, rather than interfering with the game logic.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros