lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > XML modification help (L)

Unread 11-17-2010, 08:58 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayilis
EDIT: Yes Wicked Mouse, I am using your vault and barter images again because they are that awesome! lol Hope you don't mind.
Ehm, I hope you're planning on crediting that at least =) It's fine you're using my graphic files directly, but then I'd like to be credited for it at least

If you use Adobe Creative Suite products, you will most likely get the Bridge program installed with it. It's a document browser that is capable of showing thumbnails of TGA files. I use it to browse the UI pack from Frosty to find the needed graphic files.
If you go through code you should bump into tags/files that might hint you what is to be changed or change particular graphic files and see what's changed in the game (reverse engineering). That might help you finding the stuff you want to change. This way you don't have to ask other people and wait until they might have supplied you with the answer.

EDIT/PS: graphics that show like that (blue-ish with white pattern) means that the ID tags have been identified in the SkinDefinition.xml file, but that the game could not find the corrisponding graphics file that's associated with it at the location indicated in the xml file.

Last edited by Wicked Mouse : 11-17-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:25 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Mouse
If you use Adobe Creative Suite products, you will most likely get the Bridge program installed with it..
Some great free options for this would be
FastStone IV (great image browser)
MysticThumbs (makes Windows support TGA thumbs)
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
The Undying

Neat!
Unread 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM
The Undying

Thanks again guys. And I wouldn't use someone else's work without giving them full credit, Wicked. Just the same as stealing someone's car in my opinion. lol I just really like those images and have to find or create anything that fits so perfectly for the vendor and vault panels. For every skin that I create or edit, I will probably always use those images.

I've been using Faststone (Daimon hooked me up with that a while ago. lol) and I've already been through Frosty's newest V3B2 Skin Art Pack using FastStone and I wasn't able to find the images that I posted a screen shot of. Otherwise I wouldn't have made a post about it. lol I very impatient when it comes to creating or editing stuff like this and waiting for someone to respond to a forum post drives me nuts. lol I've even resorted to "testing" certain images that I am not sure what they apply to and then trying to find them in the UI. I think I might be able to find the targa files that way, but it could take a while. lol

I honestly can't say how much I appreciate everyone's help with this because I never really understood xml or coding of this nature until a lot of the great people on lotrointerface helped me to understand it.

Thanks!!

~~Thay

Last edited by Thayilis : 11-17-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:53 PM
The Undying

It looks like you're missing a background image. You might want to check base_box_center_silver.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to be more careful with your code. Wicked is right. Check every line in the xml. Is the image name correct? Does the file exist? Is it in the right directory? Start small. Get the code working before you add more.

It sounds like you're on the right track with your testing. That's probably faster than waiting for a forum reply. Unfortunately you need patience either way. As the saying goes, patience is a virtue... (it gives you non-combat power regen).

My trick for finding an image file in the game ui is to replace it with a bright pink tga. It's usually easy to spot. I'll admit that it took me months to find the purpose of the background image on the housing permissions window though.
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:02 PM
The Undying

Okay thanks a lot for the info.