lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 10-17-2007, 07:05 PM
The Wary

Book 11 UI Changes?

Frosty,
Do you have an ETA on any changes coming to the UI for the just announced Book 11? <3

-Cid
Unread 10-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Tools and UI Engineer
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Grab your torches and pitchforks!

The story I have to tell today is one of good news-bad news.

The bad: For reasons you probably don't care about, I was very late doing the skinning work in book 11. Looking at the release schedule, I think I missed the deadline for getting that information into the game in the normal release. The way that patches, etc. work, it's questionable whether this will be included in the (eventual) patch.

The good (if there is any good after the above): There are about 80 new ArtAssetIDs, mostly dealing with housing, but a few fixes and missed assets: target of my target background, secure trade, some deed panel changes, a few buttons and boxes.

I've set myself an Outlook reminder so that I have sufficient time before book 12 to make sure any new assets are tagged. My appologies.

-P
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Admin

You've nothing to apologize for Frosty, we all know that the UI isn't your primary job. You are doing us a favour by making as much of this available to us as you are.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Unread 10-18-2007, 06:19 PM
The Undying

*gets whip* just kidding..... looking forward to any changes to the UI
Unread 10-19-2007, 04:09 PM
The Wary

Thank you very much!

-Cid
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:09 AM
The Undying

Question

Hello Frosty,

I may sound pessimistic but I wonder why Trubine is putting emphasis on delivering housing asserts when there is much to do with the core UI.

The housing one won't be used as much as the main UI.

Even thx a lot for the input and the hard work.

On another note, any news on mouse look toggle in FPV?
Unread 10-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Tools and UI Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deewe
Hello Frosty,

I may sound pessimistic but I wonder why Trubine is putting emphasis on delivering housing asserts when there is much to do with the core UI.

The housing one won't be used as much as the main UI.

Even thx a lot for the input and the hard work.

On another note, any news on mouse look toggle in FPV?
At this point, the skinning system is in place, so adding new art assets (in housing for example) is a simple process that one engineer can do once per release (i.e. me.)

Every game has problems with the "core UI" as experienced to varying degrees by our players. Turbine is devoting resources to some of these issues (which I'm not going to go into what they are, etc. because I like my job at this point.) However, issues in the core UI affect not only LOTRO but to some degree our other games as well. Typically they're a lot more involved and "scary" to change now that we've launched. Changes of this magnitude often involve more than one developer for a significant amount of time.

I'm not sure that housing won't be used by a lot of players. It's hard to guess what's going to be a popular feature in the game.

In other news I don't know anything about the mouselook toggle in FPV. Have you asked on the main forum's User Interface board? That would be the best place to followup on actual gameplay issues.

Hope that sheds some light on the asset vs. implementation tradeoffs.
-P
Unread 10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
The Undying

Arrow

Once again thx for the answer and your time Frosty.

I didn't want to mean housing won't be popular. I would even say otherwise. As a vet from SWG I do know housing is in demand and will be used a lot. And good job on that, Turbine really did well on adding housing out of an expansion and for free!

My point was we use the main UI 90% of game play time and Housing UI will be pull in the 10% left.

Even now I do understand why you "focused" on housing UI as it's not a change, it's something new that has to be done. So better do it now than later.

For the shared UI with others games. I've been playing DDO since lauch and well I see your point. Even I still don't understand why there isn't FPV in DDO yet. That only thing made me and my family quit DDO.

For mouse look toogle this was asked in suggestions, UI and general forums. It seems this isn't looked as an important feature as nobody from Turbine bothered to answer. Thing is when you play most of your time in FPV it does hurts keeping the mouse button down to steer.

Some easy solution would be to let players edit CameraInstantMouseSteer entry in lotro.keymap. For now the game overwrites anything we change in this entry.

Last edited by Deewe : 10-23-2007 at 05:17 PM.