lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Help (L)

Unread 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Text Editors

I have a general question for interface authors as well as users. What program do you use to edit xml files? I know that WordPad is much more advanced than Notepad and I think it comes on all versions of Windows. From my limited experience, I [highly recommend] mistakenly recommended WordPad over Notepad. Is there anything better out there? Is it free (at least as in beer, if not speech)? Does it support xml highlighting?

The reason I'm asking is because users are having issues with my text/xml files. I know that Notepad blissfully ignores Unix-style newlines. I use gedit in Ubuntu and its highlighting feature really helps debug xml. It's available for Windows although I've never used it. I'd like to recommend something better than WordPad when people have issues.

Last edited by ZhuHanuku : 04-06-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: correcting my bad recommendation
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM
The Undying

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

I wouldn't use wordpad because of errors that can cause and also you have to remember to select Ansi format when saving and do not use wordwrap as well to avoid code errors.

Notepad is recomended to use over wordpad,least I recomended to use.
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:43 PM
The Unscathed

Notepad ++ it is!

For any coding for wihc I do not have a specific IDE I always use Notepad++. A distant second is notepad itself. Never use Wordpad.
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:06 PM
The Undying

I also use Notepad++ for interface editing with my second being Dreamweaver CS5.
Unread 04-06-2011, 12:54 AM
The Undying

Visual Studio 2010 Express is free. Pretty hard to beat it on Windows, in my opinion. Just get the web developer version of Express.
Unread 04-06-2011, 01:03 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhuHanuku
I have a general question for interface authors as well as users. What program do you use to edit xml files? I know that WordPad is much more advanced than Notepad and I think it comes on all versions of Windows. From my limited experience, I highly recommend WordPad over Notepad. Is there anything better out there? Is it free (at least as in beer, if not speech)? Does it support xml highlighting?

The reason I'm asking is because users are having issues with my text/xml files. I know that Notepad blissfully ignores Unix-style newlines. I use gedit in Ubuntu and its highlighting feature really helps debug xml. It's available for Windows although I've never used it. I'd like to recommend something better than WordPad when people have issues.
Forgot to mention... Visual Studio covers every problem and feature you mention. Free, xml highlighting, handles nix newlines just fine, plus lots of goodies too many to count, like xml region collapsing, intellisense tag completion, etc. And the installer for the expression editions is so painless that anybody could do it.
Unread 04-06-2011, 09:01 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificeren
Forgot to mention... Visual Studio covers every problem and feature you mention. Free, xml highlighting, handles nix newlines just fine, plus lots of goodies too many to count, like xml region collapsing, intellisense tag completion, etc. And the installer for the expression editions is so painless that anybody could do it.
pretty much same as Notepad++ .. guess it's a matter of preference hehe
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:22 AM
The Undying

I have visual studio 2010 free from dreamspark (one of microsofts student discount programs) dut only use it for .net programing I had forgoten it could do xml nicely.
Unread 04-06-2011, 07:16 PM
The Undying

Notepad++ looks excellent. I'll recommend it in the future. Visual Studio and Dreamweaver seem a little overboard but I guess if you already use them or like them, why not? Thanks for the suggestions!

Now all you LotROInterface peoples out there, get on it! No more Notepad or WordPad.