lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 10-27-2010, 04:46 AM
The Wary
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Lua: Quickslot bar sets

Hi there, I'm kind of new to this because the beta test server in Europe just went up on Monday.

I was kind of wondering if what I thought of coding is at all possible...

I'm kind of annoyed having all skills in the quickslots (not a custom quickslot bar, the originals from Turbine) all the time. For example if I'm playing a Rune-keeper as a healer in a raid I don't need all the dmg skills in my quickslots or at least in different positions than were I skilled on damage or playing solo.

I sort of came across that idea while I was playing Aion a couple of month ago. There you have several quickslot sets in which you can arrange your skill icons differently and simply switch by deciding whether set 1 or 2 or 9 should be active.

Now I would like to have some function in game which allows me to save and load different quickslot sets.

I.e. my plugin is called skillsets

/plugins load skillsets
/skillsets save anyname --> will save the current arrangement of skills to anyname
/skillsets load anyname --> will load the anyname arrangement and replace the current one
/skillsets list --> will list all saved skillsets available for the current character

So far so good. Although I had a look at all the plugins available and none of them seems to modify any of the original Turbine quicklots.
I also had a look at the "what's possible thread" and had the impression that custom plugins can't modify or access the original quickslot bars "yet".

Now my question. Is my suspicion correct? Would what I've thought of only be possible completely based on custom quickslot bars and to be working with the original ones I'd have to wait until it is implemented into the APIs?

Last edited by Neela : 10-27-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Unread 10-27-2010, 05:15 AM
The Undying

Send a message via MSN to Digital_Utopia Send a message via Yahoo to Digital_Utopia
Although I can't say for sure, by all indications, Lua Plugins will never be able to interact with existing UI elements. At best, we'll be able to override them, but never alter them. The main reason behind this is that the Lua API is a completely separate entity from the UI elements in LotRO itself. Nothing in LotRO is done in Lua, so every function, class or element available in the API had to be created from scratch not only to make use of these things, but also to deliver the information to the API.

So some time in the future we may very well be able to add keybindings to the Lua quickslots, and maybe hide the standard LotRO quickslots, but it's very likely that we'll never actually be able to access/modify those LotRO quickslots through Lua.

To answer your question - the only way to do something like what you're describing is to create a custom set of quickslots, and to save their contents. Saving multiple sets would also be quite possible - and in numerous ways. However, at this time, the only way to use the skills/items in those quickslots would be clicking on them. There's no keybinding support as of yet.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros
Unread 10-27-2010, 06:22 AM
The Wary

Thank you

Actually I feared the answer would be like that...

Doing it with custom quickslot bars is completely out of question atm because the whole point in doing it is to have different skills mapped to the same keybindings with different layouts.

I don't really want to use my mouse to use the skills.

Maybe as you said sometime in the future then when we will be able either to access the original Turbine quickslots or to assign keybindings to custom quickslots.
Unread 10-27-2010, 06:49 AM
The Undying

Send a message via MSN to Digital_Utopia Send a message via Yahoo to Digital_Utopia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neela
Thank you

Actually I feared the answer would be like that...

Doing it with custom quickslot bars is completely out of question atm because the whole point in doing it is to have different skills mapped to the same keybindings with different layouts.

I don't really want to use my mouse to use the skills.

Maybe as you said sometime in the future then when we will be able either to access the original Turbine quickslots or to assign keybindings to custom quickslots.
Oh I completely understand regarding the keybindings. The custom quickslots won't be completely useful until we have such support.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros