lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 02-14-2007, 04:25 PM
The Undefeated

Auctioneer

Has anybody thought to start making an Auctioneer-type WoW addon for LOTRO yet?

Auctioneer, being free & open source, may be easily enough converted to the LOTRO game (says somebody with only VERY little programming experience).
Unread 02-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Admin
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

While others that have had more opportunity to play with the Interface in LotRO are welcome to jump in here to correct me ....

LotRO doesn't allow "programming" of any form at this point. Purely skinning. Ie changing the graphics of the existing windows. So unless I'm completely wrong on that, or until such time as they (Turbine) open it up more, things like Auctioneer won't be possible.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Unread 02-14-2007, 07:19 PM
The Undefeated

Maybe, as a community, we could encourage them and show them how successful addons were in WoW. Heck Auctioneer was the only reason I stuck around as long as I did in the game....I was making about 80 G a week.
Unread 02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Tools and UI Engineer

I'll just jump in and confirm what Cairenn posted earlier.

Currently (emphasis on "currently") Turbine only allows skinning (image replacement) of the UI.

Full on scripting of UI's ala Auctioneer, Outfitter, or any other WoW mod involves having the game engine and the UI plugin communicate. The Turbine engine is not currently set up to do that - you can't just flip a switch and "hey, look at me scripting UIs!"

It's a significant development task to enable. However, with that being said, it's something that we all want to devote some time to doing. The "skinning" ability was something we needed to see if was even viable as a first step to full scriptability.

-P
Unread 02-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Tools and UI Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws
Maybe, as a community, we could encourage them and show them how successful addons were in WoW. Heck Auctioneer was the only reason I stuck around as long as I did in the game....I was making about 80 G a week.
Community feedback is always a good motivator to change the functionality. So is mailing me some gold. I'm on the Sen'Jin server as.... nevermind.

-P
Unread 02-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Admin

That's good to hear Frosty.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Unread 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
The Undefeated

Hehe, too bad. I gave away several hundred gold to random people to get rid of it when I quit Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty
Community feedback is always a good motivator to change the functionality. So is mailing me some gold. I'm on the Sen'Jin server as.... nevermind.

-P
It's also good that you clarified. Being a n00b at UI skinning I wasn't sure how WoW addons worked. Dissapointing to hear that there is no current way to do it.
Unread 02-16-2007, 07:38 PM
The Undying

but it is nice to know that it will be (maybe) in the game later on.

A little question about it: if you do, will it use an already existing language like LUA or will it be your own scripting language?
Unread 02-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Tools and UI Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghil
A little question about it: if you do, will it use an already existing language like LUA or will it be your own scripting language?

At this point, it's way to early to tell. I suppose it will rely on the scripting language being able to receive events from an external source. I've done a little bit of looking into LUA, but I don't know the nuts and bolts of it enough to make any definite decisions.

-P
Unread 02-18-2007, 08:53 AM
The Undying

alright thanks for the answer!