lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Help (L)

Unread 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Plugins Not Saving Settings

I hope I'm missing something stupid, but none of my plug-ins save their settings upon log-out/log-in. I spend a bunch of time reconfiguring the travel window and BuffBars then if I unload those plugins or log out and re-enable the plugs they reset to their default settings/locations. Kinda makes them pointless if I have to go through a bunch of reconfiguration each time.

Am I missing something? is this operating as expected?
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:27 AM
The Undying

That is definitely not expected behaviour. Plugins can automatically write their settings to file to be saved, and you can check if they are doing so.

To do this, look in a new folder that is automatically created called PluginData. In that folder, you will see a folder for each account that plays on your computer, and in that folder, more folders for each server you play on, and then each character has their own folder.

So the path may look like: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\PluginData\<account>\<server>\<character>\

For the Travel Window plugin, you should see a file called TravelWindowSettings.plugindata. The BuffBars plugin creates a file called BuffBarsSettings.plugindata.

If the files are there, then something is keeping them from being read in.

I do find it very odd that it would not work automatically for you, unless there is something unique about your account name or character name causing the path to not work.
Unread 09-10-2010, 08:53 AM
The Wary

Mine do not save as well. I am only using travel and Buffbars right now, but have to reload then every time I log in. My settings are saved, I don't have to reconfigure the plugins, I just have to reload them.

I checked and I have both of the files you listed above, so I am not sure why they are not loading automatically.

Last edited by RKS : 09-10-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Unread 09-10-2010, 09:59 AM
The Undying

That was excellent information regarding how the plugins are supposed to save their settings. I can confirm that I do NOT have a PluginsData directory under my LotRO folder.

Had RKS not been having the same problem I might have suspected that it had something to do with the fact that my "My Documents" folder is located on a network share (I have a domain server which enforces folder redirection via group policy). For the most part this hasn't caused a problem with modern software, though I did have some problems with older software.

[Edit]
I just reread RKS's post. RKS: You are currently operating as expected. Loaded plugins do not currently reload upon logout/login. You will need to reload your plugins each login. I recommend getting one of the plugin managers posted in another forum and making a shortcut on your quickslot bar to load the manager. You should then be able to reload all your plugins in a few seconds after each login.

So now we're back to is My Documents redirection confusing LotRO? Unless anyone else has other theories. I would hate to have to log out of my computer and log into a local account just to play LotRO.

Last edited by Valdacil : 09-10-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Unread 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM
The Indomitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS
Mine do not save as well. I am only using travel and Buffbars right now, but have to reload then every time I log in. My settings are saved, I don't have to reconfigure the plugins, I just have to reload them.

I checked and I have both of the files you listed above, so I am not sure why they are not loading automatically.
This is expected behavior, at least for now. Turbine has said they will make an ingame manager at some point but it maybe a while.

Until then, there were 2 plugin managers developed in Beta, Frosty and Shady, unfortunately I haven't seen either make it over to live posting yet.

For the Shady manager, after you set it up, a simple "/plugins load manager" on log-in will load all of the plugins you have told it to turn on.

I didn't get a chance to try Frosty's but it looked to work very much the same, perhaps a bit more elaborate.

Hopefully one or both will get uploaded soon, I'm just glad my beta copys work.
Unread 09-10-2010, 12:06 PM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdacil
That was excellent information regarding how the plugins are supposed to save their settings. I can confirm that I do NOT have a PluginsData directory under my LotRO folder.

Had RKS not been having the same problem I might have suspected that it had something to do with the fact that my "My Documents" folder is located on a network share (I have a domain server which enforces folder redirection via group policy). For the most part this hasn't caused a problem with modern software, though I did have some problems with older software.

So now we're back to is My Documents redirection confusing LotRO? Unless anyone else has other theories. I would hate to have to log out of my computer and log into a local account just to play LotRO.
I am going to guess that is the issue. Can you make a shortcut in the normal location for your documents?
Unread 09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
The Unscathed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedachtnis
Until then, there were 2 plugin managers developed in Beta, Frosty and Shady, unfortunately I haven't seen either make it over to live posting yet.
You can get Shady's plugin manager here:
http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/...in-reviews-01/
Unread 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM
The Indomitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengoros
You can get Shady's plugin manager here:
http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/...in-reviews-01/
Oh sweet. Now we just need to get it over here too.
Unread 09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
The Undying

I can confirm that my client is saving settings just fine. My MyDocuments folder is remapped to a second hard drive too, so this may not be the issue.
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:42 PM
The Undying

Well, my My Documents is rerouted to a network share; not a different hard drive.

\\gandalf\data\userdata\valdacil\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\etc.

My Lotro settings are saving, so the permissions are set right and Lotro itself knows how to write to the directory. It just isn't creating the PluginData folder or anything below it. I tried creating the PluginData folder hoping it would then create the account\server\character structure; but no luck.

I'm not sure why Lotro itself would be able to write to the directory, but fail to write the PluginData though.