lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
The Wary

PluginData file naming also parent plugin source

I've a concern about file names in the PluginData folders.

There does not appear to be a specific naming convention for plugin data files, or at least one is not enforced.

What is to keep two plugins from using the same file name for data storage? Would they'd conflict or overwrite each other?

Example: "Main.plugindata" for the Palantir plugin.
The name is so generic, I imagine it could be inadvertently used in another plugin.

Wouldn't it be better if plugindata files were put into their own folders named with the source plugin?

Which gets to my second issue, how do I tell which plugindata file belongs to which plugin?
Unless the author puts a comment line in the file or makes the name a bit more specific, I can't figure it out...Palantir's "Main.plugindata" file being a case in point.
Without that information, my data folders are getting pretty trashy with the way I try out then uninstall various plugins.
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Yes, it could be possible to overwrite another plugin's settings file if the names are the same.

I generally try to name my files with the name of my plugin. But they should go into separate folders.

I don't believe there is any way to tell which file belongs to which plugin except as you said, if the author were to save a variable with the plugin name in it.
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
The Wary

Just to be sure folks understand, I don't mean the plugin directory itself, which is organized by plugin or author name and found here:
"...\The Lord of the Rings Online\Plugins\"

I mean the plugindata directory specific to a character, or server, or account where plugins save their data, found here:
"...\The Lord of the Rings Online\PluginData\"
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordeval
Just to be sure folks understand, I don't mean the plugin directory itself, which is organized by plugin or author name and found here:
"...\The Lord of the Rings Online\Plugins\"

I mean the plugindata directory specific to a character, or server, or account where plugins save their data, found here:
"...\The Lord of the Rings Online\PluginData\"
There is a related thread over on the Forums... I've linked this posting to it...

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...lication/page2
Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (118)
Valanne - Beorning (105)
Valhad - Elf LM (65)
Valkeeper - Elf RK (85)
Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (68)
Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
All about the fun!"